Monday, November 7, 2011

Autumn Lights













The Bridge Community Centre had a fantastic Autumn Lights Festival during half-term week which I attended with my son. It was a day full of FREE indoor and outdoor activities including T-shirt designing with Inspire Artwork, lantern and mask making, pumpkin carving, story telling, bird feeder making, potting up strawberry plants and there was a 'Totting Hill' Mini Carnival Parade. I made some blackberry muffins for them to sell along with their other delicious cakes and biscuits. A real mix of families from the surrounding areas visit the Bridge and make use of it's facilities. Many of the local kids rarely leave the neighbourhood, even though we have many beautiful outdoor spaces, parks and the beach too. Being situated in an area of social and economic deprivation, the Bridge benefits these children most of all; giving them a safe space to play and learn and keeping them off the streets.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful festival, lots of fun things going on for the kids. It so beneficial when communities pull together and organise events such as these, community spirit is sadly lacking in so many areas these days. It certainly looks like the children were enjoying themselves and your blackberry muffins look delicious, I bet they went down a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blackberry muffins look SO good! The garden is quite neat. That bridge right in the middle of it most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your post about the community garden. I think horticulture is really powerful tool for bringing people together. Those muffins do look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies it was quite hard for me to give those muffins away I have to admit. I'll just have to make some more! I wasn't terribly community minded myself until a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to have somewhere for everyone to meet up and do fun and useful things - the gardens are looking great, as are those muffins. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Elaine. It brings people together.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...